Last Updated: 2 February 2024
The kinds of PI that Sportsbet generally collects from you are:
- residential address;
- date of birth;
- email address;
- phone number;
- personally submitted preferences and service usage information;
- bank account and credit card information;
- location data;
- IP address;
- betting activities and behavioural data.
- other identity verification information (i.e. license and/or passport details).
Sportsbet will collect your PI for the following purposes:
- to process your application to become a member of Sportsbet (“Member”);
- to operate your Member betting account and to provide services to you as a Member;
- to send you newsletters and other communications that you ask to receive from us or that relate to the services we provide to you;
- to respond to enquiries and complaints from you and to establish, exercise or defend any legal claims;
- for market and business analysis and research;
- to develop new products and services and to tailor our services to suit your needs;
- to promote and market our products and services to you;to determine Members’ liability to pay goods and services tax and other taxes where applicable;
- to comply with Sportsbet’s legal and statutory obligations including in relation to customer identity verification and reporting obligations imposed by the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Act 2006 (Cth) (AML/CTF Act) and the Northern Territory Racing Commission Racing and Betting Act 2011 (Racing and Betting Act) licensing obligations;
- for taking appropriate action in relation to suspected unlawful activity, fraud or misconduct or otherwise to ensure the safety and security of its services; and
- to the to the extent that the information is included in a job application, to assess and process that application and for other recruitment purposes.
You may choose to deal with us on an anonymous basis or to use a pseudonym, unless it is not practicable for us to deal with individuals who we cannot identify, or we are required by law to only deal with identified individuals (such as under the AML/CTF Act). Also, if you do not provide Sportsbet with the PI we request, we may be unable to process your application to become a Member, provide you with our services or respond to your enquiry or complaint.
By becoming a Member or otherwise choosing to provide Sportsbet with PI you consent to Sportsbet collecting, using and disclosing your PI for the above purposes.
We may use third parties to serve ads on our website. These companies may employ cookies and action tags (also known as single pixel gifs or web beacons) to measure advertising effectiveness.
Direct marketing and opting out
From time to time, we may use and disclose your PI to inform you about Sportsbet’s (and its related bodies corporates’) products or services or about promotional activities, which Sportsbet believes, may be of interest or of benefit to you. We may do this via email, SMS, telephone or mail.
If you no longer wish to receive marketing or promotional material from Sportsbet at all, or in any particular form, you may unsubscribe at any time by:
- using an unsubscribe facility which is included in a Sportsbet marketing or promotional message;
- following the “My Account” link on the website and updating your “Promotion Notification” settings; or
- contacting Customer Service by email to email@example.com with your request, with which we will comply as soon as is practical.
From time to time, we may contact you in relation to the opening, service, management and administration of your Sportsbet account. These communications can be via any of the modes of contact recorded when you apply or applied to open an account, registered as a member or which we (or our related bodies corporate) otherwise collect for the purposes of opening and maintaining an account. Such communication is not affected by your opt-in or opt-out status for direct marketing communications.
PI collected by Sportsbet may be disclosed to a third party in the following circumstances:
- to provide you with the services you have requested;
- to service providers and professional advisers for the purposes of providing services to us;
- to undertake promotional and marketing activities;
- to our sponsors and business partners for the purposes of our business relationship with them;
- where the disclosure is required or authorised by law;
- to protect and maintain the integrity of particular sports / racing codes by assisting Australian sports / racing controlling bodies in their inquiries, or notifying such bodies of any betting activity Sportsbet considers to be unusual or suspicious;
- to related bodies corporate, and actual or prospective purchasers of all or a part of Sportsbet's business, and their advisers; and
- where you have consented to its disclosure either expressly or by the circumstances and your conduct.
Sportsbet may disclose PI overseas, including to service providers and our parent company Flutter Entertainment plc and related bodies corporate of Sportsbet and Flutter Entertainment, located in the UK, Ireland, Romania, Hyderabad and the USA, for example.
Sportsbet will take reasonable steps to ensure that any PI which Sportsbet discloses to a third party is protected by that party in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Security of Personal Information
Sportsbet will take reasonable steps to ensure your PI is stored in a secure environment, which is accessed only by authorised persons.
You acknowledge that no data transmission over the Internet is totally secure. Accordingly, Sportsbet does not warrant the security of any information which you transmit to it. Any information which you transmit to Sportsbet is transmitted at your own risk. However, once Sportsbet receives your transmission, Sportsbet will take reasonable steps to protect your PI from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure including by using password protected systems and databases and Secure Socket Layer (“SSL”) technology.
Sportsbet’s employees, agents and contractors are required to maintain the confidentiality of Members’ PI and trading behaviour.
Information posted on bulletin boards or communicated within a social media environment (for example, Facebook, Twitter, Chat Rooms) becomes public information. Sportsbet cannot guarantee the security of this type of disclosed information.
We take seriously the responsibility to exclude children from access to our services. We will not accept their information for the purposes of opening a wagering account. It is however, ultimately the responsibility of parents or guardians to monitor their children’s Internet activities including where appropriate by using Internet screening software.
Remember to always log out of your account when you have completed your time on the website. This is particularly important if you share a computer with another person. You are responsible for the security of and access to your own computer, mobile device or any other handset used to access the website.
Ultimately, you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your username, password and any account information. Please be careful whenever using the Internet and our website.
Access to Personal Information
You may access PI that Sportsbet holds about you by following the “My Account” link on the website or alternatively, by:
- contacting us on the Customer Service hotline on 1800 990 907; or
- submitting a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will give you access to your PI in the manner requested if that is reasonable and practicable and within a reasonable period. If we refuse your request ,or cannot give you access in the manner you have requested, we will do what we can to meet your requirements by other means. We may not be required to give you access to your PI in certain circumstances which are set out in the APPs, including where it may have an unreasonable impact on other individual's privacy. If we refuse access for such reasons, we will advise you in writing of the refusal, our reasons and the complaint mechanisms available to you.
Correction and Continuous Updating of your Personal Information
Sportsbet takes reasonable measures to ensure that PI which it collects is accurate, complete and current and also when it uses and discloses it, that it is relevant, having regard to the purpose for which it is being used or disclosed. We will take reasonable measures to correct PI if we are satisfied that it should be corrected. We may contact you on a periodic basis to seek the most up to date information from you.
If you believe that the PI Sportsbet holds about you is inaccurate, incomplete or not current, please let Sportsbet know and we will correct it if we are satisfied that a correction is required.
PI can be updated or corrected by you in the "Account Details" section of the website at any time after you log in. Subject to identity verification, PI can also be updated or corrected by calling Sportsbet's Customer Service hotline on 1800 990 907.
Details of your betting transactions can be also found in the "Bet History" section of the Member Services section of the website.
Sportsbet will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify the PI we hold when it is no longer required for any purpose permitted under the APPs including our legal or operational obligations.
If you have any queries, requests for access or correction or complaints relating to the handling of your PI, please contact the Privacy Office:
Sportsbet Pty Limited
GPO Box 4755
Melbourne Vic 3001
We will consider any complaints and will aim to respond in writing within 30 days. Further Information about privacy concerns or complaints in Australia can be found on the Office of the Australian Privacy Commissioner's (OAIC) website at www.oaic.gov.au.